Friday, November 4, 2022

Southeastern Utah - October 2022 - Part 2

 Continued from Part 1

Johns Canyon Road - Muley Point East - Cedar Point Road


October 12th (continued)

Johns Canyon Road

I first drove on this road back in 2014. I'd been to Muley Point East and I spent the night (and nearly got blown away... or so it felt.) When I was admiring the views I noticed the road far below and wanted to explore it. When I was planning this trip I remembered seeing some amazing views of the San Juan canyon, spectacular sights of Muley Point and the bluffs above the road. I remembered there was a gate (there are two) and I remember a few rough spots, but nothing too bad. At that time I saw a couple of places that I thought might make good camping sites, and I remember the springs where I turned around. But that's about it. So I thought I'd drive it again to camp and explore.

You get to John's Canyon Road from the paved road to Goosenecks State Park from UT-261. It angles off on the north side about a half-mile from the state highway. The initial section is in pretty good shape. 

A short while later I stopped to talk to two women coming out driving a jeep. I wanted to ask them how far they'd gone on the road. Turns out they'd been hiking the Honaker Trail which I'd never heard of (but later found on Google Maps.) They explained the hiking trail leads down to the San Juan River. They told me how to drive there by turning left at the large tank (which is about 2-1/2 miles from the pavement) and mentioned there were two nice campsites. They had stayed at one of those last night, but said many people park before the road drops down. They claimed the road wasn't bad, but it was wise to stop at the rock cairn rather than drive all the way to the trailhead. I took the turn-off, but stopped where the other cars were parked. I wanted to do more research before going farther. 

Johns Canyon Road about 3.5 miles from the turn-off.
Cedar Point on the right; Muley Point ahead to the left.

I returned to Johns Canyon Road and proceeded west. A mile or so after entering the canyon proper I pulled out on a short side road that could be a camp site. I had a snack and looked around. I noticed another vehicle pulled over a few hundred feet farther along the road, so when I started up again I stopped by them to say hello and ask if they had driven the road. They had not. They'd pulled over so he could walk up the road to where it looked like it had been washed out. The road had not washed out, but was hard to see in advance and he had not wanted to have to back out. They didn't know if they wanted to go on or not, but he said the section he examined was certainly drivable. I continued on.

Looking out the truck window toward the San Juan River.

That section was not bad, though it was certainly steep with a drop-off. I came to the first gate. It is below Muley Point East. I opened it, drove through, then closed it. Always leave gates open or closed as you find them. The next section was nasty. There were couple of steep, rocky stretches where I used 4LO to get up. After that the road was in good shape.

You can see the road clinging to the ledge at right. Muley Point ahead.

The road however was much longer than I'd remembered. I kept waiting to find the second gate as I knew there was a big rock just past that and a prospective camp site. I finally came to the gate and the rock. The site was desolate and baren. Much of Utah and the four corners area had seen a good monsoon season. The bench between Cedar Mesa and the San Juan River looked like it hadn't seen rain in years. It was hot, dry, and not the least inviting.

This is the point of Muley Point seen from a prospective campsite.

I continued on aiming for Johns Canyon Spring and hoping it would be more verdant and offer a camping site. Again it was much farther than I'd remembered. Yes, there were trees and greenery in the area of the spring, but there was absolutely no where to camp even if one were willing to ignore the prohibition for camping near a water source. There was barely room to turn around and it wasn't even level.

Johns Canyon Springs.

I walked around a bit, enjoying the scene, and taking a few photos. I then climbed in my truck to make my way out. Somewhere on the long way out I decided I'd quit the canyon and camp somewhere else, maybe Muley Point.

I did spot a big rock right by the road with petroglyphs which was very interesting. Somehow I had not seen it when I drove by the time before.

Petroglyph rock.

Petroglyph rock in situ with Muley Point East in the background.

The dodgy section just west of the first gate was no better on the way out. If anything it was worse and I had to use 4LO in several sections. I think it was much worse than in 2014. I was glad to be out of there. I cannot recommend driving John's Canyon Road past that first spur (37.225291, -109.967893) about a half mile after you pass Cedar Point unless you are experienced and have the proper vehicle.

I returned to the highway and headed up the Moki Dugway. At the top I turned south on Muley Point Road.


Muley Point East

As I was driving up to what Google Maps now calls Muley Point East and what lots of folks mistake for Muley Point proper. (It actually has more spectacular views as it's right on the edge whereas the official vista point is not.) I saw a side road leading east. It's maybe a hundred yards before you get to the vista point. I was curious, but didn't explore at the time. 

By the way, the Muley Point area along the bluffs is actually within the Glen Canyon National Recreation Area and their regulations apply. "All human body waste solids shall be contained and carried out using a portable toilet or a specifically engineered bag waste containment system." Which is really the only responsible thing to do everywhere in the backcountry. Some other jurisdictions allow burying human waste, but even those now require you bag your toilet paper and pack it out.

I found a spot to park and set up camp a ways back from the edge of the bluff. I walked the to the edge to look around. It was very hazy across the canyon, not ideal for photos and as I had nice ones from previous trips, I only took one down at John's Canyon Road where I'd just driven. The road sure looks tame from above.

Looking over the edge of Muley Point East down at Johns Canyon Road.
You may notice the profile of Monument Valley on the horizon.

As the afternoon progressed to evening, more and more vehicles were setting up to camp in this area. Their voices easily carried in the quiet. Finally I decided it was just too crowded and rather than sit and fume about the noise, I'd move camp. I stowed my gear and closed the top.

Looking along the edge of Muley Point East.

I drove onward on Muley Point Road. There were a number of nice campsites along the road, but they seemed to be already occupied. (Looking from home I see there is a side road that heads westerly for some ways with a few dispersed sites along it; the satellite view even captured what looks like a pop-up camper about 4000' along the road at a spot with an amazing view. Maybe I'll check that out next time.) I turned around to check out that side road I'd seen earlier in the day.


Cedar Point Road

The road is not labelled in Google Maps, but I'll call it Cedar Point Road as it heads generally in that direction. I drove about a mile down the road to a nice campsite where I set up. It was getting along toward dark, so didn't take any photos that evening.

The fall is the season to camp at Muley Point or any other exposed site in southern Utah; summer is too hot and in spring the winds might keep you up at night as they blast your camp.


October 13

Cedar Point Road (continued)


Dawn at my campsite with the moon still high in the sky.

It was a beautiful dawn as light spread across the landscape. I tried to capture the sunrise, but without any clouds to reflect the light all I got was overexposures. I did much better capturing a view of Monument Valley, Arizona and Muley Point with Navajo Mountain and the San Juan canyon behind it.

Monument Valley, Arizona is across the San Juan River valley.

Last night I had spied a campsite a bit farther along Cedar Point Road where a small white van was parked. It looked like it might have even a better view. I decided if the van left I'd check the site out. It did and I did. I moved my campsite to this higher vantage which was also farther away from any adjacent sites, not that I had been bothered last night.

Muley Point (right) with Navajo Mountain in the background.

I enjoyed the rest of my coffee in my comfortable camp chair. Later in the morning I walked farther along the road to see what was there. I saw a couple other campers, I spotted at least two side roads that led down toward the edge of the bluffs, one looked very rough. 

Cedar Point Road view.

I walked to where I could look east toward Valley of the Gods and took a photo. I was curious if the road stretched all the way to the end of Cedar Point, but in looking at the satellite view from home, it doesn't look like it does. It does appear to go farther north, as double track, but I bet it is not a comfortable surface.

Near the east end of Cedar Point Road with a view of Valley of the Gods.
You can just see Ute Mountain, Colorado on the horizon.

After lunch I wandered around the immediate area and took photos of some of the miniature plants thriving close to the ground. I made a collage of six species. You can judge the comparative size of the plants by the size of the gravel in the photo, as the decomposed sandstone is the same size and consistency in all the images.

Miniature plants seemed to be thriving throughout this area.

I was pretty lazy the rest of the day. Sitting in my chair hypnotized by the view or reading my library book.

My campsite as the sun was going down.

The light was delightfully crimson as the sun went down. There were no clouds to manufacture a full sunset, as had been the case the previous nights, but I caught the last of the sunlight illuminating the side of Navajo Mountain.

The last of the light reflecting on the side of Navajo Mountain.

The wind came up during the evening. It wasn't bad, but after dark something was rattling on the outside of my camper. I stepped out to quiet it and was astonished by the night sky. The first night of my trip the nearly full moon was too bright to see more than a few stars. Tonight they were out in their glory. It was windy, but very mild, so I stood out for a while admiring the diamonds in the sky. The Milky Way was directly overhead, too. Beautiful. In the short time I was outside I saw two falling stars, as well!


October 14


Cedar Point Road (continued)


Navajo Mountain seen in the early morning light from my campsite.

Early morning was amazing. I sat in my chair, drinking my fresh brewed coffee, and watched as the sunlight slowly crept from the tops of the mesas to down across the landscape. I took a number of multiple exposure panoramas. I've processed two of those, but haven't figured out how to share the very wide images on Blogspot.

I packed up and headed out. I drove north on UT-261 up the middle of Cedar Mesa. I stopped at the Kane Gulch Ranger Station. I didn't know if they'd be open, as their hours had been limited in the past, but they have nice vault toilets by the long term parking area. They were open. I talked to a lady inside and apparently with the new permitting requirements they are open every day. According to the Trip Planner I was given they are actually only open mornings during the spring and fall.

Here are some useful links: Cedar Mesa Trip Planner (PDF); Cedar Mesa Permits & Passes

See also: Bears Ears National Monument


End of Part 2; continues in Part 3.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it!