Saturday, May 18, 2019

Southeastern Utah; Part 2 - May 2019

Part 2 of 3 - Start with Part 1

Thursday, May 2nd (continued)


Remember to click on any photo for a larger version.


Valley of the Gods


Valley of the Gods

I drove south back out of Butler Wash and turned west. Last fall I'd seen a camping spot in the Valley of the Gods along the wash, in the middle part of the north section, that looked interesting. At the time it was occupied. I thought as it was early afternoon, it might be available. It was and I settled in. The winds were quite gusty, so I braced the truck bed with the aluminum jack stands I bring along for this very purpose. I sat in the lee of the truck, read the latest Leaphorn, Chee, & Manuelito novel, The Tale Teller, by Ann Hillerman (quite good), and enjoyed the view.

My campsite.

Fortunately the wind died down by evening and I took a few photos.

Sunset.

And again.

Friday, May 3rd


Valley of the Gods (continued)


It was chilly in the morning, but the sky was clear. I got outside to take photos in that wonderful early light.

Spherical Panorama (click the Full-screen icon [ ] for best view:


Looking up the valley toward the towers.

I took a short walk up the wash below camp.

Primroses were blooming profusely.

Lots of yuccas were also blooming.

I broke camp and returned to the highway the short route, not completing the valley loop this time.

Moki Dugway


It's always fun to drive Moki Dugway (assuming you don't have a fear of narrow roads and sheer drop-offs). If you haven't done it yourself, or missed my earlier posts, this gravel stretch of UT-261 connects US-163 north of Mexican Hat to UT-95, east of Natural Bridges NP. The highway bisects Cedar Mesa after climbing up from the Valley of the Gods elevation.

View of the subway from below. See if you can spot any vehicles.

The view from an overlook. 

I drove north along the highway, admiring views of the Bear's Ears and the snow capped Abajo Mountains.

The Bears Ears and the Abajo Mountains.

The journey continues in Part 3

FOR SOME REASON GOOGLE/BLOGGER IS NOT LETTING ME REPLY TO YOUR COMMENTS ON MY BLOG. Hopefully this will be fixed sometime, but meanwhile, thanks I appreciate you taking the time to comment. If you have specific questions, email me at the address above. - Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it!