Tuesday, August 10, 2021

Colorado Wildflower Tour - July 2021: Part 3

Bonus: Northern New Mexico

Continuation of Part 1 and Part 2


 Click any photo to enter an enhanced photo viewer with larger images. 

Sunday, July 18th (continued)

Just past the Combres & Toltec Scenic Railroad tracks at Antonito is the poorly marked Road 12.5. I had never driven in from this direction, only come out, so got briefly lost at the village of Ortiz, but a local youth got me pointed in the right direction. I knew, then, I was going the right way when I drove through the somewhat overgrown New Mexico State Recreation area.

Rio de Los Piños Campground

When the road turns left over a small bridge, proceed straight ahead. Hooray, my favorite site was available! It is a grassy verge along the river before you get to the "official" sites in the campground. I was first directed to this wonderful campground in the fall of my first year with my camper by a ranger at the Tres Piedras Ranger station. I camped at this very spot as the wooded sites in the campground were full. The following year I came again. This time I stayed in the campground, but though it was a lovely site, it didn't have the views of this spot. I resolved that next time I'd set up where I had the first time.

My campsite along the river with the scenic cliffs on the other bank.

I wanted this site again, not only for the view of the river and rocky cliff, but also as it would get full sun for most of the day for my solar panels. With the afternoon rains and heavy clouds the previous days my batteries were never able to fully charge with my one 100 watt panel, although they did accumulate enough charge to energize the camper. I deployed my second, portable 100 watt panel.

From another angle you can see the river and my second solar panel soaking up the photons.

It was warm, but not bad. It was late enough in the day I was able to set up my chair in the shadow of my camper and bliss out on the view, listening to the river babbling. A beautiful evening, too.


Monday, July 19th


Rio de Los Piños CG (continued)

I took a photo walk along the road that leads into the campground and beyond. Although a number of cars and trucks had gone in and/or come out last night, there were no campers at all other than myself. It was a beautiful morning. I took photos of flowers and landscapes, and tried to take photos of birds.

This is the same species as the Colorado Rubber Plant, but I have captioned the photo with the
common name as given in the New Mexico Wildflower reference.

Scarlett Beardtongue, not to be confused with...

Scarlett Gilia

Looks like a good pool to lure some trout.

Rock Spirea, also known as Mountain Spray

Here is a close-up from the plant above so you can appreciate all the tiny blossoms.

As a native son I love New Mexico green chile with a passion,
but I don't understand this branding at all.

Another lovely river scene.

I was very surprised when I first learned these large sandpipers summered on mountain streams.

Cute little critter pausing for a portrait.

There were many butterflies getting mineral supplements from around mud puddles.

After about a mile I came to a cattle guard where a small herd were (was?) congregating beyond. I decided that was far enough and returned to camp.

I'm generally not a fan of decorating nature, but this was clever.

Another scene of this gorgeous area.

I set up my homemade tarp awning to provide shade during the day as there were no trees to shade my spot. I sat in my chair and relaxed all afternoon. A few times I got up to get photos of passing butterflies.

Commercial awnings mount from the top edge of the lower camper section. My home made model
is harder to erect, but has the advantage of shading the raised side panel. Cheaper, too.

Tiger Swallowtail

The richly patterned underwings of Weidemeyer's Admiral

This is the upper side of the Admiral that one usually sees.

The small Clouded Sulphur butterfly.

As I was sitting in the shade I saw the grass and clover trembling.
A major pest in my yard, but a cute critter out here in the wilds.

A 360º panorama of this intimate canyon.

It reached a high of 81º and my fridge ran quite a bit, but with both panels in full sun, my batteries achieved full charge and the controller was able to go into Float mode. I enjoyed the evening after a wonderfully relaxing day.


Tuesday, July 20th


Rio de Los Piños CG (continued)

I didn't rush, but decided to head home and not hang around. Seemed like a good idea to get back home before the heat of the day. I drove back out the way I'd come in (but without the wrong turn) and turned right on US-285 headed south.

I stopped in Española for fuel for my truck and for me. Then Santa Fe. Then home.

A successful trip with no problems, mostly good weather, and lots of beautiful wildflowers.

If you missed the link earlier, check out the American Basin Wildflower portrait gallery here.

Thanks for joining me for this portion of my wildflower tour. I hope you enjoyed the presentation. If you have any questions, feel free to email using the link at the top of the page. Thanks.



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your wildflower adventure. Enjoyed the beautiful photos and fine narrative. Especially enjoy the butterfly photos. Joyce

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it!